Saturday, August 1, 2009

July 31

We started out the day as early as we could get through breakfast so we could shop up at the flea market at the old Buddhist temple.  We didn't have much time because we were leaving for the airport at 1:00 and we wanted to go get noodles (in the opposite direction) one more time. The main purpose of the flea market was to get chops for some of the Campbells who didn't have chance while in Beijing.  But, upon walking around the market, Karen saw an antique xylophone, with a dragon design.  I saw that look in her eyes and knew that she would find a way to get it home…and she did.  It was very cool.

Anyway, they did find a few other things, but then it was time to get back and get everything packed up and on our way.  We had a quiet ride out to the airport, as both kids slept.  I was glad to get to watch the countryside of the area where my son has spent his first two years.  The hour or so to the airport was filled with small pockets of crumbling homes and neighborhoods, some farm areas and some industrial type plants.  The countryside was quite dusty, with brown mountains close behind.  Very rural, no indication of modern conveniences, cars, stores, etc.  I thought how difficult life must be, even just for survival, just these few miles from the very busy and modern city of Lanzhou.

The Lanzhou airport is rather small, and happily Karen & Matt's gate was the same as our's (they left about 40 minutes before us).  So, we got to see them off as they left for Beijing to begin their very long journey home.  It was hard to see them go.  It has been absolutely wonderful to have them with us.  They have helped in so many ways and RJ has grown quite attached to them both.  He happily waved bye bye to them as they departed through the door to head to the plane.  Just after all the passengers of that flight had boarded, he kept taking my hand, so that we could follow them through the door. He would point to the door and make his little grunts…like, lets go!  When he realized that we weren't going to go with Uncle Matt and Aunt Karen, he got a very pained look on his face and cried.  It broke my heart.  I have shown him lots of pictures since and tried to continue to assure him that we will see them soon.  It is sad to see that little face feeling so sad.  But we got out the crackers and the toy cars and that helped to dry the tears and pass the time.

I was happy to get onto our flight, which I learned for the first time that it was not a direct flight, but would stop over in Xian.  That didn't make me too happy…I didn't need the travel time to be any longer than absolutely necessary.  Anyway, the flight to Xian was only about an hour.  Low and behold, not only did we stop there, but I had to get off the plane are re-board.  That almost put me over the edge…come on!  Trying to gather all our gear and get off, then back on…what a pain.  Anyway, soon we were on our way to Guangzhou.  I learned very quickly that RJ does NOT like being buckled up, in any way, shape or form.  Training him to sit in a car seat is going to be a real challenge.  Mostly he was o.k. on my lap, but did insist on walking up and down the aisle a couple of times.  Emma slept through a good portion of the flight, which was great.  Our biggest incident was when dinner came, but RJ wouldn't sit at his own seat, but only on my lap.  So trying to manage the food and drinks and my son must have been such a sight.  Unfortunately, RJ loves to drink!  I didn't use my best judgment and had the flight attendant leave another cup full of orange drink for us.  Soon, the entire cup of juice ended up on my and RJ's laps.  A lot of it also spilled directly onto my shoes, which were off…nice and squishy and sticky when I put them back on.  I just prayed for the next two hours that my pants would dry enough that I didn't look like I had an accident…especially because there was really no where to go, so I had to just keep sitting in the wet seat.  Lovely.  It was a true initiation to traveling with my two kids. I hope I learned a few lessons for the big day of travel ahead.

We got into our hotel in Guangzhou at about 9:30 p.m. and were so happy to see such a lovely room in the 'original' section of the hotel (which has been renovated and is really nice)…a huge king size bed and a little separate seating area.  I really like the Victory Hotel.  This is the same place that we stayed when we were here for Emma's adoption.  Most families stay at the White Swan, but this hotel is half the price, has soft beds (unlike the White Swan, as well as most of the rest of China's hotels) and are much bigger in size.  Other than apparently the lovely breakfast buffet at the White Swan, this is a much better choice…and the breakfast here isn't too bad anyway.    So, here I am in the middle of this huge bed with my two precious children sleeping soundly on either side of me.  Aaaah, heaven.


No comments: