Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1

The only real event of the day was that RJ had to go to get his TB test for his visa.  Even though he has already been tested by the orphanage, the US consulate is now requiring another TB test prior to it issuing a visa.  Whatever.  Anyway, we walked over with another family who is staying in the same hotel.  They have adopted a 9 year old boy.  None speak Chinese, and he doesn't speak English.  How impressed I am with people's goodness and abilities to open their hearts to children in all circumstances.  It was nice to meet them, they told us all about the pool on the roof and said it was just great, warm and fun.  We might take another stab at swimming.  We'll see.

Anyway, we walked down to the clinic and RJ got his arm injected with the TB test to see if there is a reaction.  I was sure that, given his history, he would seem stressed out about being in a hospital setting, but he seemed just fine.  Not only that but he didn't even make a sound when they pulled out the needle or injected him!  I couldn't believe it.

On the way back from the clinic, we stopped at a little exercise park.  It is full of equipment, mostly sized for adults to do various types of exercises.  However, Emma found plenty to keep her busy and then, once we found the little slide/climbing set, there was something exciting for RJ to try.  At first he wasn't sure, but it took only once and he was hooked on the slide experience!  It was a joy to see him slide, laugh and then immediately run for the stairs again.  He had such a good time.  It is very hot and very humid here and his little cheeks got so red…but he just kept on going.  I also met a woman who owns one of the shops that are nearby.  Her five year old daughter was playing on the slides as well.   She was absolutely amazed that I could speak Chinese.  She said that in the five years that she had owned the little shop here that specializes in Chinese tourist type goods and adoption related trinkets, that she had met hundreds of adoptive families, but I was the first ever to speak Chinese. I don't know if that is true…but she really wanted to talk and talk.  I was so hot and thirsty…but the kids were happy to play with her daughter and it was nice to visit. 

We finally came back to the room and little RJ was so tired, he laid down and immediately fell asleep.  Emma played some computer games and I tried to get a little organized.  I then started on some laundry and while I was doing it RJ woke up and started playing with the water in the tub.  It soon turned into a few hours of water and bubbles for both he and Emma while I did laundry.  Again it was a joy to see them having so much fun.  They get along great at those times, and just like all siblings, fight equally as often.  RJ does not like Emma to touch his head and try to take him places or keep him from things that he isn't supposed to do.  He has no trouble screaming at her and trying to shoo her away.  She also doesn't have much patience with him when he acts that way and will fight right back.  I guess that is healthy.  I hope overall they are going to be good friends though.

We went through my paperwork this afternoon with the representative from Holt …no one is too sure whether it is all in order or not because in Lanzhou they used my California address on the adoption registration.  I told them that it wasn't my current address like 5 times, but they kept assuring me that is was the one I was supposed to use.  But I  was not convinced…and the girl today that was reviewing it with me seemed to agree that it probably was wrong. And they would have to send it back to Lanzhou to get it right.  Aaargh!  She assured me that it wasn't going to hold anything up…but I feel like I can't trust anyone or anything…its been just sooo many problems with my paperwork.  Until I am on that plane with my boy, I will be worried!

I guess there isn't much I can do right now.  This is when I have to have faith that someone will do the right thing and it will all happen as planned.  I sure hope so!


No comments: